FraudSMART is advising consumers to be on the alert to a text message scam in which fraudsters claiming to be your bank are asking you to review a transaction. The link will bring you to a fake website looking for personal and financial details.
- Banks will only ever ask you to reply to text messages with ‘Y’ or ‘N’. Never to click on links or give information.
- Do not click on a link or attachment from unsolicited emails or text messages.
- If you think you have responded to a scam text message, contact your bank immediately.
- Contact your bank using the number on the back of your debit / credit card.
- Never use phone numbers in a text message as this could be a fake number.
- Never give away personal information, bank card payment details, bank account details or security details such as your PIN or online password to anyone.